Indigestion is a sign of a bigger problem, waiting at the door. If you have been suffering from indigestion for a while then watch out, the iceberg inside the water may be bigger than the imagination. Indigestion alone is a heavy feeling to carry throughout the day. The work is disturbed, the plans are spoil and eating anything feels like a task. These are the typical indigestion characteristics. But indigestion is not a very tough situation to deal with. There are home remedies available to cure indigestion.
Indigestion is marked by the following symptoms-
- The feeling of fullness (bloating)
- Growling stomach
- Acidic taste in mouth and burning sensation in the upper abdomen
- Feeling of nausea and vomiting.
- Mild pain in stomach
- Gas and belching
Causes of Indigestion
- If you eat too much of junk food and your alcohol consumption is high then you are likely to suffer from indigestion.
- There are certain drugs that disturb the mechanism of digestion. Doctors usually suggest Aciloc or Ranitidine with the intake of such drugs to control and balance the stomach pH.
- Anxiety and depression can also cause indigestion.
- The other health problems like GERD (GatroEsophageal Reflux Disease), ulcers or gall bladder disease can lead to indigestion of food.
Home Remedies for Indigestion
- Ginger tea- Ginger tea is a tasty way to a healthy stomach. All the ingredients in ginger tea benefit the body in some way or the other.
- Warm a cup of water
- Add ginger juice obtained by crushing the ginger pieces.
- Add few drops of lime
- Use honey to sweeten the liquid
- You must have heard, lemon in lukewarm water helps in cutting down the fat. But it is an excellent digestive agent, is a less known fact. A glass of lemon water in the morning keeps your stomach healthy and away from most of the stomach ailments.
- Orange- An orange after every meal can boost the digestion of your stomach. It needs no preparation and no mess. Just peel off the skin and start eating the digestive catalyst in your hand.
- If the stomach aches because of indigestion then carom seeds are the fastest natural pain reliever.
1. Roast the carom seeds for a minute.
2. Add black salt
3. Gulp it with water
- Garlic- Garlic is excellent for stomach disorders. Eat 2 or 3 cloves of garlic empty stomach in the morning to avoid any stomach disorder. The only problem with this remedy is you are likely to smell of garlic the whole day. Not to forget the mouth odor.
- Eat in small quantities per meal. Too much of food makes the stomach overloaded and it takes longer to digest it.
- Take your time, eat slowly and chew the food properly. The saliva in our mouth contains enzymes that are helpful in digestion. Chewing the food produces saliva and gives time to mix it with the food properly.
- Never exercise after a meal. Exercising in full stomach harms the digestion. Energy is needed to digest the food. When we eat, the energy in the body gets concentrated in the belly for digestion. Doing any physical activity after the meal would distribute the energies to different parts. Take a 15 minutes nap after the meal for a good digestion.
- Do not smoke! It not only damages lungs but also the digestive capability of the body.
- Drink as much water as possible. Water is the medium of all the processes taking place in the body. You should drink at least 6-8 glasses of water daily.
- Coriander: It helps to promote digestive enzymes that help to improve indigestion and calm down your stomach. You need to add 1 tablespoon of roasted coriander seed in a glass of buttermilk and drink this solution twice in a day.
- Basil leaves: It reflux acid content and considered as good remedy for indigestion. Basil leaves has carminative properties that helps to release intestinal gas. Make a tea of basil leaves by adding this in a cup of hot water and steep it for 10 minutes.
- Cinnamon: This spice is available at homes and helps those people that are suffering from indigestion. You need to take 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder and add it to water, steep it for 10 minutes. Drink this solution, it really gives best results.
- Warm water: Yes, water alone gives best results because cleaning our body by flushing out all the toxins. Have a glass of warm water daily early in the morning before breakfast.
- Cardamom: Cardamom has volatile oil which helps to cure number digestive disorders include gas. Cardamom tea is the best to treat indigestion. You can also consume it alone and also add roasted cardamom powder in vegetables.
Proton pump inhibitors:
This inhibitor helps to lower down acid content in stomach. These are also available in tablet form, but these should only be used for short term treatment. Some side effects also noticed such as headache, vomiting, dizziness, skin rashes etc.
cimetidine, ranitidine, famotidine thesec are few H2-receptor that are effective in controlling your indigestion.
Such as Helicobacter pylori bacteria that are responsible for causing infection from your stomach. Antibiotics are help to remove them.
Antidepressants or anti-anxiety medications:
These medications give relief from indigestion by decreasing sensation of pain.
Some diagnosis and tests:
These are the test by which we determine other diseases that are caused by indigestion such as thyroid problems or metabolic disorders.
Helicobacter pylori bacteria cause indigestion because they are associated with peptic ulcers.
These are used to treat abnormalities in upper digestive tract.
Imaging tests such as CT scan and X-ray to check intestinal obstruction.
How to prevent indigestion:
- Do not eat those foods that contain high amounts of acids such as tomatoes and citrus fruits.
- Avoid intake of foods and beverages that contain caffeine. As caffeine cause the stomach to produce more acid.
- Do not lie on bed just after eating your meal.
- Avoid doing exercise with full stomach. Exercise before taking meal or least one hour after eating a meal.
- Reduce alcohol consumption or not smoking right before eating as it may disturb or irritate the stomach lining.
- If you are tension or stressed then change your lifestyle as it is also one of the reason for your indigestion.
- Eat slowly and chew your food.
When you feel following symptoms do consult your doctors:
- Repetition in vomiting or vomiting with blood
- Tarry and Black stools
- Fatigue or weakness
- Swallowing in stomach.
And still your indigestion is not curable then it’s the time for you to go and meet with doctor.